Batch #4 – Tee Tree Shampoo Soap

This is a repeat from my personal blog dated August 12, 2012. I’ve updated some of the wording.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I went back to someone else’s recipe for this one. Again, I went back to Soap Making Resource and used one of Steve’s recipes. After failing miserably with Batch #3, and the subsequent 5 re-batches with my own recipe. I went back to the basics. I’m still learning, and batch #3 was definitely a lesson. Batch #4, like Batch #1, is pretty awesome.  Here’s my process:

Here is the exact recipe formula that we will be using for this batch:

The recipe only calls for 3 essential oils, but I chose to add Clary Sage EO to the mix to help my hair grow. I’ve read in a number of places that it helps. My hair needs all the help it can get. Seriously. Getting old sucks, and I have an embarrassing thinning spot up front where I used to have bangs.

I’ve been doing a number of things to help my hair grow these last few months, and if anyone has any suggestions, I am open to them. Just post in the comments. 🙂  For several weeks, I applied castor oil at the roots and scalp each week – it’s  also supposed to help with hair growth. I still do the castor oil treatment about once a month, however, because castor oil is so thick, it actually takes a couple days for the oil to fully wash out. Needless to say, I do this on Friday nights. I hope it helps overall.

So, I mixed the lye and water together, and separately, all the oils together – once the temperature was down to 100°, I mixed it altogether. Then glanced at the instructions. It called for mixing the lye and oils at 80° to keep from frying the eggs. *facepalm*

I scrambled to put the pot in cold water,  mixing occasionally until it was 86°. I couldn’t get it below that and I had no ice. It was also starting to trace. I mixed some of the oil/lye mixture with the egg yolks to temper it, and set the bowl in cold water to further bring the temperature down, I didn’t want to cook the eggs. I mixed the eggs before the essential oils. The recipe calls for the opposite. I was initially worried that this might cause an issue, but the soap turned out wonderful and smells divine.

My whole house smelled more like sage than anything else. I was hoping with saponification that the sage would temper with the other essential oils, which eventually it did. It’s very Tee Tree and Clary Sage. The rosemary and grapefruit is very subdued.

After the failed batch, #3, I was hesitant to do another batch and afraid this would be a failed batch, too. It’s the whole, getting back on the horse after it bucks you off, but with less bruises and broken bones.

Lauric – 0 | Myristic – 0 | Palmitic – 18 | Stearic – 5 | Ricinoleic – 14 | Oleic – 51
Linoleic – 10 | Linolenic – 1 | INS – 111

This entry was posted in Cold Process Soap and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s